Becoming Less

He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.
John 3:30 NLT

  I usually know when God is prompting me to step out of my comfort zone. I get restless. I feel a need to close the world out so I can just be still and listen. He grows my hunger and thirst for His word and His presence, and there's a feeling of excitement mixed with fear of failing. A lot of the times I just feel completely inadequate to play out the task He has set before me. Whether it's my lack of skills, or I don't look the part or so many other people are better equipped than me, or the 1,000 other excuses I could think up and allow myself to believe. There is always something that completely intimidates me. 

  But God keeps brining me back to John 3:30. I must decrease so that He may increase. I must declare His promises and His truths. This truth is I am equipped through Christ. It doesn't matter how I "feel", He knows exactly who I am. If He has called me, it's exactly me whom He is choosing to carry out this task. A task meant specifically for me because that's how much God cares for His children. He designed you to for this task at this exact moment. He designed you as a tool to serve the Kingdom in a specific way. He knows our coming and going and He knows every tiny detail of His purpose for us. 
  A couple weeks ago I sat and listened to a message from a missionary, and she spoke of this very thing. She talked about how God strips us of the old to mold us for the next great task we are meant for. Sometimes this is a major change all at once, but sometimes it's a layer by layer stripping over time. In either case, these times bring us change and also liberation. Change is uncomfortable because it puts us in a state of vulnerability. But I find that from vulnerability comes humility, not humiliation, but genuine humility to submit to His will. We gain freedom and a willingness to serve Him no matter how we feel, because we know that when we allow ourselves to become less, He can then become greater. 
  

   Lord may your spirit steer my heart towards your perfect plan. Let it be by your power that I am equipped and lead me in your love to humbly serve you in all you ask of me. Help me to become less and less so that you may be glorified more and more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He is Close to the Brokenhearted

Focus Your Faith

Our "gifted" Life of Parenting